The iDEX program was launched by the Defense Innovation Organization (DIO) in an effort to achieve self-sufficiency in defense and defense manufacturing.
The Startup Incubation and Innovation Center (SIIC) IIT Kanpur has partnered with iDEX (Innovation for Defense Excellence) to scout and advise entrepreneurs and MSMEs to create, deploy and commercialize technology and products for Indian military and defense PSUs. Under this partnership, SIIC IIT Kanpur will jointly run programs like Accelerator, Long Term Incubation, Piloting, Prototype Investment, etc. with iDEX. The iDEX program was launched by the Defense Innovation Organization (DIO) in an effort to achieve self-sufficiency in defense and defense manufacturing.
The main objectives of the iDEX project listed by the Ministry of Defense, Department of Defense Production are:
- Facilitate the rapid development of new, indigenous and innovative technologies for the Indian defense and aerospace sector, so that the needs of these sectors can be met in a short period of time.
- Create a culture of engaging with innovative startups to encourage co-creation for defense and space
- Strengthen the culture of technology co-creation and co-innovation in the defense and aerospace sectors
- Encourage innovation among start-ups and encourage them to be part of the Indian defense and space ecosystem.
- With these initial objectives of iDEX, SIIC IIT Kanpur and other incubators will help iDEX work to guide startups and MSMEs in the product development sector of India’s defense sector and in making India self-reliant.