The association aims to volunteer 10 percent of its alumni base to social impact initiatives and to make a positive impact in the lives of at least one million people in India and the rest of the world in two years.
The IIT Madras Alumni Association (IITMAA) has launched a ‘Mission Million Smile’ initiative to make a positive impact on the lives of at least one million people in India and the rest of the world in two years. The association seeks to channelize the strength, resources and commitment of its alumni to achieve this goal.
Another key initiative of IITMAA is ‘Mission 5000 Ignited Minds’, which aims to get 10 percent of the alumni as volunteers committed to its initiative. The IIT Madras Alumni Association has a total of 53,825 members, including 22,179 undergraduates and 31,646 postgraduates.
Highlighting the main objectives behind the new mission, Krishnan Narayanan, President, IIT Madras Alumni Association (IITMAA), said, To the nation. ”
Further, Krishnan Narayanan said, “The IITMAA ecosystem, which includes 50,000 alumni, students and faculty, has the potential, knowledge and skills and resources to be a powerful change agent. It is important for us to give back to India and our local community. I urge our alumni to accept the Mission Million Smiles pledge at www.iitmaa.org. “
IITMAA’s social impact initiatives will focus on areas such as innovation interventions for science, technology and the nation, student counseling, water and sustainability, and women in STEM.
The initiatives of IITMAA were led by a new team of office-bearers taking charge on 14th August 2021. This includes
- Krishnan Narayanan, President (Alumni, Class 1996)
- Jayapriya Dhevi, Vice President (Alumni, Class of 2005)
- Shyamla Rajaram, Secretary (Alumni, Class of 1995)
- Ramachandran Narayanan, Treasurer (Alumni, 1980 class)
- Gopkumar VT, Joint Secretary – India (Alumni, Class of 2005)
- Gokul Bala, Joint Secretary – Foreigner (Alumni, Class of 2012)
- Yadav Sankaran, Member of Executive Committee (Alumni, Class 1976)
- Prasad TL, Executive Committee Member (Alumni, 1987 Class)
- Latha Venkitachalam, Executive Director, IITMAA Office
Some of the new initiatives planned for the next two years include:
- Conduct an ‘I for IITM’ event in a hybrid mode involving more than 5,000 alumni in 125 cities across 15 countries to celebrate the founding day of IIT Madras.
- Under our “Guru Talks” and “Engineering Simplified” series, IIT Madras faculty will produce short, engaging lectures on cutting-edge research and technology such as AI, quantum computing and extra-terrestrial manufacturing.
- IITMA’s “Thought Leaders Council” brings together 12 prominent alumni from around the world in an interdepartmental forum that will mark a few STI big-bets for India.
- Implement the IITMAA ‘Impact 4 India’ alumni engagement model for the social impact project.
- Sangam, the flagship event, this year’s theme will be ‘Restoring Balance – Women in Leadership and Stem.’ IITMAA is anchoring the chapter of the Society of Women Engineers of South India and will 1) give reasons for inspiring girls and women and students in STEM and 2) lead women in leadership and entrepreneurship.