My focus will be on keeping IIT Madras at the top of the rankings while constantly striving to enhance the academic and research excellence of the Institute: Prof. V. Kamakoti
Professor Kamakoti Viginathan took over as the new Director of the Indian Institute of Technology Madras on 17 January 2022. Professor Kamakoti has been replaced by his predecessor, Professor Bhaskar Ramamurthy, who has served two terms as director of the institute.
Dr. Kamakoti took charge in the presence of the Dean, Dr. Jane Prasad, the Registrar and other officials. Dr. Pawan Goenka, Chairman, Board of Governors, IIT Madras, along with other board members practically participated.
Professor Kamakoti is a Faculty of Computer Science and Engineering at IIT Madras and is the Associate Dean of Industrial Consultancy and Sponsored Research (ICSR) at IIT Madras. He has held numerous positions in various government agencies and organizations, including being a member of the National Security Advisory Board of the Government of India.
Outlining his priorities for the Institute in 2022 and beyond, Professor Kamakoti highlighted that his focus will be:
- Increase the reach and impact of online learning and distance learning
- Collaborate with school education boards to strengthen an overall curriculum
- Skill development programs aimed at high quality vocational training
- Increase interaction with young students of the school to increase interest in science and research
- Industry based MTech program for international students
- Increase the multidisciplinary quotient of the curriculum with special emphasis on language, philosophy, art, environment and value based education.
- Increased industry participation with increased faculty and faculty-of-practice positions
- Translational research focusing on issues of social relevance, including regenerative agriculture, industry 4.0, medical technology, and smart civil construction technology.
- Paperless efficient and effective governance through AI powered hyper automation.